Coin-eating turtle dies from complications

Modesto Morganelli
Marzo 21, 2017

A 25-year-old sea turtle in Thailand slipped into a coma late on Sunday after an operation to remove 915 coins from her stomach earlier this month.

The cause of death was blood poisoning from the loose change, said Dr Achariya Sailasuta, a professor at the veterinary faculty at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University.

"She is our teacher", another vet said. Some had corroded or partially dissolved. "I felt angry that humans, whether or not they meant to do it or if they did it without thinking, had caused harm to this turtle", the vet said at the time.

The turtle - nicknamed Bank - appeared to be doing well after the operation, but a check-up on Saturday revealed problems with its intestines.

Bank lived in a public pond in Chonburi province, about 175 kilometers (110 miles) southeast of Bangkok. Doctors performed a second operation but Bank never woke up and died on Tuesday morning.

The green sea turtle, named Omsin, or "piggy bank" in Thai, had been finding it hard to swim normally after swallowing five kilograms of coins thrown into her pool for good luck.

However, Bank mistook the coins for food, eating so many that they eventually formed an 11lb (5kg) weight in her stomach, cracking her shell and causing a life-threatening infection.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE