Mercedes, Hyundai pull ads from 'The O'Reilly Factor'

Brunilde Fioravanti
Aprile 16, 2017

Their actions follow a New York Times report last week that said Fox and the channel's star host had settled five sexual harassment complaints worth $13 million with female employees who have worked with O'Reilly over the past 15 years.

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Hyundai and Allstate Insurance Co., major long-time advertisers from the automotive industry, have removed their advertising campaigns from the controversial Fox political show "The O'Reilly Factor".

In a statement, Hyundai said it wanted to work with companies that "share our values of inclusion and diversity". His show draws close to 4 million viewers a night, and generated a total of $446 million in advertising revenue over the last two full years, according to the research firm Kantar Media (via the New York Times).

The National Organization for Women on Tuesday called for O'Reilly to be fired and demanded an independent investigation into the "culture of sexual harassment" at Fox News.

Ailes denied the claims in his resignation letter, saying, "I will not allow my presence to become a distraction".

But it seems that the damage has been done: On Monday and Tuesday, a group of high-profile advertisers (including Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai, BMW, GlaxoSmithKline, Allstate, Constant Contact, Untuckit, Lexus, and Sanofi Consumer HealthCare) pulled their commercial spots from The O'Reilly Factor until further notice.

Former contributor Wendy Walsh is among O'Reilly's accusers, claiming a job offer was withdrawn after she declined his invitation to go with him to his hotel suite after a dinner in 2013, the BBC reported.

The Wall Street Journal, Fox's corporate sister, reported this weekend that O'Reilly's contract had been renewed. "Fox News apparently doesn't get that basic concept".

Zulily, an online retailer, told BuzzFeed News they place advertisements with networks "based on audience demographics, not on specific programs". According to the Times, Fox News's parent company was aware of the sexual harassment suits and settlements and "structured [O'Reilly's new] deal to include more leverage over his behavior".

On Monday, Fox News contributor Julie Roginsky filed another sexual harassment lawsuit against Ailes and accused Fox's current management of trying to cover up his behavior.

O'Reilly has been Fox News' biggest star for almost 20 years and the host of The O'Reilly Factor, the most watched news show on cable.

Fox News, one of the most-watched cable news networks has been making headlines in the recent past for the wrong reasons.

"I'm a father who cares deeply for my children and so I have to put to rest any controversies to spare my children".

Jenny Craig: "As an organization, Jenny Craig condemns any and all forms of sexual harassment".

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE