Bill O'Reilly show axed amid sexual harassment scandal

Modesto Morganelli
Aprile 20, 2017

Bill O'Reilly, who hosted this program for 20 years, is leaving the Fox News Channel.

Six women, all either employees or guests of the show, claimed O'Reilly subjected them to sexual harassment, verbal abuse and lewd behavior spanning from 2012-2016. The Wednesday evening broadcast of The O'Reilly Factor noticeably excluded O'Reilly's name from the logo of the show that he hosted for over two decades.

Bill O'Reilly has been at the center of a firestorm of criticism in the aftermath of a story published earlier this month by The New York Times, which outlined his dubious past. In the wake of the Times' report, at least 60 advertisers told Fox to remove their commercials from "The O'Reilly Factor". Tucker Carlson will take over his 8 p.m. ET time slot.

In the statement at the time O'Reilly said that he had settled only to spare his children from the controversy.

He pushed a populist, conservative-leaning point of view born from growing up on Long Island and was quick to shout down those who disagreed with him.

"The O'Reilly Factor" generated $178 million in advertising revenue in 2015, according to Kantar Media. "At one point, no one even came close, because they were afraid that he might sexually harass them". The network eventually chose to oust O'Reilly, despite the fact that he leads the network's ratings, after "a thorough and careful review of the allegations".

"The only way to end harassment is to shine a light on it".

O'Reilly's departure means promotions for several shows.

His attorney said on Tuesday US time the host was the target of a "smear campaign" funded by far-left advocacy groups.

The 67-year-old's long-running show was the most-watched cable news program in the United States, averaging around 4 million viewers.

Indeed, 21st Century Fox recently extended O'Reilly's contract for about $18 million a year.

O'Reilly addressed the allegations in an April 1 statement posted on his website, in which he stated that his job made him "a target for those who would harm me and my employer, the Fox News Channel".

O'Reilly had been scheduled to return from his vacation next Monday, and there had been some talk of him addressing his longtime viewers about the exit.

"It is the end of an era here at the Fox News Channel", she said.

There was also a crucial phone call from an O'Reilly accuser to Fox.

The letter concluded with an apparent nod to morale problems within Fox News recently.

O'Reilly released a statement, calling it "tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims".

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE