Terror threat level reduced to 'severe' after Manchester arrests

Brunilde Fioravanti
Mag 29, 2017

On Saturday night, police issued CCTV stills of Abedi, bespectacled and casually clothed, in a plea for information about his movements between May 18 and the attack.

Members of the Manchester suicide bomber's network are still potentially at large, British interior minister Amber Rudd said on Sunday, after the terrorism threat level was lowered due to significant progress in the investigation.

Now, it has been reported that the event may take place as soon as 4 June. Among investigators' areas of interest is how often Abedi traveled to Libya, which has seen an eruption of armed Islamist groups since dictator Moammar Gadhafi was overthrown and killed in 2011.

How does President Trump's budget proposal impact your agency?

Ms Rudd told BBC1's Andrew Marr Show: "It's an ongoing operation, there are 11 people in custody, the operation is still at full tilt, in a way".

While some other large-scale events, including concerts, were cancelled following Monday's suicide bombing it was confirmed that the Great Manchester Run would go ahead, under the watchful eye of police reinforcements.

"The compassion, kindness, love, strength and oneness that you've shown one another this past week is the exact opposite of the heinous intentions it must take to pull off something as evil as what happened Monday", she said.

It means that soldiers deployed to bolster security will stand down on Monday night as an attack is no longer considered imminent.

The decision to lower the threat rating from its highest level was made by the country's Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre in light of the arrests made in the Manchester attack investigation, May said.

London, May 28 almost 23,000 terror suspects may be at large across Britain, the country's intelligence community say after the deadly manchester attack by a Libyan-origin man who was on the radar of the UK's spy agencies.

Between 2009 and 2016, the number of police officers fell by nearly 20,000, or around 14 per cent, according to the independent Institute for Fiscal Studies think tank.

Hopkins said the city had largely pulled together in the aftermath and urged the community to come together.

Libya said it was working closely with Britain to identify possible "terrorist networks" involved, while a British official said that Abedi had been on the intelligence radar before the massacre.

Thousands of runners turned out defiantly for the Great Manchester Run, pounding the streets of the city amid a heightened security operation.

Liam Gallagher, of the legendary Manchester band Oasis, announced he will be performing his first ever solo gig in Manchester on Tuesday, with all the profits to be donated to families of the victims.

Twelve of those injured were under 16, and the youngest killed was an eight-year-old girl. British officers do not usually carry guns, CNN reported. A total of 116 people were treated in hospitals after the attack.

He said the jihadist group "worships death".

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE