Italian media names third London attacker as Youssef Zaghba

Remigio Civitarese
Giugno 19, 2017

British police named the third of the jihadis who killed seven people in a knife and van attack in London as Youssef Zaghba, 22, believed to be an Italian national of Moroccan descent.

The other two attackers were identified as Khurum Butt, a 27-year-old whose extremist views had been reported to police, and 30-year-old Rachid Redouane, also known as Rachid Elkhdar, a Moroccan pastry chef. Check back for updates.

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said the police and MI5 must reveal what they had on file about Butt and Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said he had appeared to have "slipped through our net" despite being in plain sight.

His aunt by marriage Franca Lambertini said he was a "good lad, who didn't talk much".

He has been criticised for voting against counter-terrorism legislation and expressing reservations about police responding to attacks with "shoot-to-kill" tactics.

A London mosque said Butt "infrequently" attended prayers there but was asked to leave after an incident a few years ago where he interrupted a Friday sermon, according to a statement from Jabir bin Zayd Islamic Centre.

London police said all 12 people held since the attack late Saturday from the Barking neighborhood in the east of the city had been freed without charge.

A body recovered by police from the River Thames on Tuesday is believed to be that of French national Xavier Thomas, 45, who had not been seen since Saturday's terror attack on London Bridge.

In a statement Tuesday, authorities said they arrested a 27-year-old man Tuesday morning.

The three attackers were shot dead at the scene by police.

Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said Butt was known to the security services, but there was no evidence of "attack planning" by him.

The gym where one of the London Bridge attackers trained says they saw nothing of concern during his time there. The search in Ilford, just north of Barking, is seeking to determine whether the group had accomplices.

Amaq, an outlet affiliated with the Islamic State group, said the attack was carried out by "a detachment of fighters from Islamic State". Transport for London confirmed he worked for London Underground in customer services before leaving last October.

The announcement came as United Kingdom authorities faced new questions over how one of the London Bridge attackers was let into Britain despite being on a security watch list.

The area around Borough Market is not expected to reopen Tuesday.

London authorities announced on Wednesday that three more men had been detained in connection with last weekend's deadly terrorist attack in the city.

The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) said more than 130 imams and religious leaders from around the country refused to perform funeral prayers for the attackers.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE