79 now presumed to have died in London fire

Remigio Civitarese
Giugno 20, 2017

The number of people believed to have died from a fire that set ablaze Grenfell Tower in west London last week has risen to 79 and could increase, United Kingdom police say.

Authorities have always said the figure could rise much higher, as the tower block was able to house up to 600 people.

He said that five of the dead had been formally identified and it would be a slow and painstaking task to identify the others.

Commander Cundy said the conditions inside the building are "indescribable" and the operation to recover the bodies of those who tragically died in the blaze will take weeks. The job's contractor has said the work met all fire standards.

"The bad reality of the fire that night means that we are supporting some people who may have lost a number of members of their family on that night", Cundy said.

Mrs May said: "As we continue to respond to the needs of the community, our focus is on ensuring that all of those affected by this unimaginable tragedy get the right support as quickly as possible".

'If I identify.an issue that is a risk to public safety, we will be sharing that immediately with the relevant authorities, ' he added. It includes 30 deaths that already have been confirmed, and reports of people who are missing and presumed to have been killed.

"And it is incredibly hard to describe the devastation in some parts of that building".

"The bad reality is that, due to the intensity of the fire and the devastation within Grenfell Tower, we may not be able to identify everyone who died", he added.

On Sunday, London Mayor Sadiq Khan acknowledged growing public anger surrounding the fire, saying it was a result of "mistakes and neglect".

There was a moment of silence across the United Kingdom.

Other emergency service workers stood with their hands behind their backs and their helmets on the ground.

People reported that Prince William broke royal protocol during the visit when he hugged and tried to comfort an inconsolable woman whose husband went missing during the fire.

As the burning building came into view, one puzzled firefighter asked: "That's not a real building with people in it?" "The work to search the building is challenging, but naturally could never be done quickly enough for those now having to live with the uncertainty of knowing where their loved ones are".

On Monday, Theresa May's spokeswoman said the Prime Minister knows the public want quick answers to the disaster.

British officials say they are helping the Syrian family of the first officially confirmed victim of the London tower blaze - 23-year-old Mohammad Alhajali - to "travel to the U.K.in these terribly sad circumstances".

Photos and videos published by the Metropolitan Police show the gutted wreckage of apartments.

The remnants of an exercise bike, an oven and washing machine point to the lives of residents in the moments before the blaze.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE