Seattle Police Kill Pregnant Woman Who Called 911 For Help

Remigio Civitarese
Giugno 20, 2017

Lyles' three children were inside the home at the time of the shooting and according to her family, she was pregnant with a fourth child.

"Hello, good morning", one of the officers said in the audio.

"Both officers had to fire their service weapons, striking the individual", Seattle Police Detective Mark Jamieson said. Three of her children were in the apartment with her and witnessed their mother being shot and killed.

Her family has questioned why officers didn't use a Taser or other non-lethal options during the encounter. She was released from King County jail last week. "They shot my mom", the 10-year-old reportedly said as Murray took him outside.

The Times reports ( ) that both officers fired their weapons.

Since then, the police department's use-of-force incidents dropped 60 percent, and a recent federal report says the officers have used de-escalation techniques.

When police responded to her apartment, she allegedly opened the door holding a knife in her hand.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray vowed a full investigation into the fatal shooting. The blotter notes that the cops performed first aid until the Seattle Fire Department arrived, and pronounced her dead.

In an audio recording released by authorities yesterday, the officers can be heard speaking with Lyles and shouting "Hey, get back!"

"There's no reason for her to be shot in front of her babies", Monika Williams, Lyles' sister, told KIRO.

At some point, Lyles displayed a knife and the two officers shot and killed her. Lyles' children were inside the apartment at the time of the shooting, but none of them were injured.

Lyles' family said she had a history of mental illness. "She just told them to call my sister and tell my sister gets here".

The officers talk about the woman previously brandishing large metal shears during an encounter with police, trying to prevent officers from leaving her apartment, and making "weird statements" about her and her daughter turning into wolves. She pleaded not guilty to two counts of harassment and obstructing a police officer.

Relatives wondered why police shot her instead of Tasering her. The story said Lyles had been receiving welfare when she entered the THRIVE program and was later placed at the Poverty Bay Coffee Company in Federal Way where she was permanently employed and no longer received welfare.

Others that are critical of the police officers' actions include some of Lyles' family members who describe her as "tiny" and far from intimidating. According to Lyles' cousin, Robin Cockerham, the officers were aware of her issues.

The department's Force Investigative Team is investigating the officers's use of deadly force in the shooting. Most of the incidents involved people with mental or substance abuse problems, though a court-appointed monitor recently noted that the department has made changes that show significant progress. The woman can be heard telling the officers the door was unlocked.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE