US 'Mystified' over Persian Gulf States' Position towards Qatar

Remigio Civitarese
Giugno 22, 2017

Qatar has welcomed a recent USA position questioning the motives of Gulf allies for their blockade on Doha.

Speaking in an interview with the state-run Anadolu Agency on Wednesday, Zeybekci said that almost 105 cargo planes have carried aid from Turkey to Qatar, after several Gulf countries cut diplomatic ties with Doha earlier this month, Xinhua news agency reported.

The US State Department says it is "mystified" that Gulf states have not formally detailed their reasons behind their continued embargo of Qatar.

The embargo was issued, according to the State Department, without giving the USA ally any details about the claims of its alleged ties to terrorist organizations or what it can do to help ease tensions.

Rumaihi on Wednesday reaffirmed "Qatar's strategic stance that supports solving the crisis by civilised dialogue", Qatar News Agency reported. Riyadh declared its embargo on Qatar just over two weeks later and Trump made repeated statements in support of the move, appearing to take at face value Riyadh's justification that it was to punish Doha for its backing of terrorist groups.

The UAE's ambassador to the United States said last week a list of demands for Qatar was being compiled and would soon be handed to the United States.

The European Union has thrown its weight behind Kuwaiti-led mediation efforts to help end the Gulf standoff over Qatar.

Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain severed diplomatic relations with Qatar on June 5, 2017.

Nothing will get done because Trump will likely once again contradict the State Department by siding with Saudi Arabia's monarch in order to cuck Tillerson. "Do we take the easy road or do we finally take a hard but necessary action?" Trump had tweeted that Arab leaders had told him they blamed Qatar for funding extremism.

But last week, the defence secretary, James Mattis, signed an arms deal in which the U.S. sold Qatar 36 F-15 fighter planes, worth $12bn.

Al Jazeera's James Bays, reporting from Washington, DC, said that the state department's statement on Tuesday marked a change in USA policy.

At the time, Mr. Tillerson said the council's actions against Qatar was spurring on a humanitarian crisis in the country. However weeks later, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford told Congress the Qatar blockade was having no impact on USA operations.

Speaking to reporters yesterday, Qatar's attorney general announced that some of the boycotting countries may have been involved in the online attack.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE