Watchdog group to release Mar-a-Lago visitor logs

Remigio Civitarese
Luglio 17, 2017

An ethics watchdog group won a lawsuit to obtain records of who has been visiting President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort since he became president.

The upcoming release of the visitor logs is a result of an April lawsuit filed by CREW, the National Security Archive, and the Knight Foundation First Amendment Institute at Columbia University against the Department of Homeland Security, the federal agency which contains the Secret Service, the government entity which maintains the logs.

"The Secret Service will complete its search for and processing of 'responsive records of presidential visitors at Mar-a-Lago, ' and produce any non-exempt responsive records, by September 8, 2017", the two-page ruling, issued by a U.S. District Court for the Southern District of NY judge, stated.

CREW told AFP they would be looking closely to see the scope of what is turned over.

According to The New York Times, Trump has visited Mar-a-Lago 25 times during his presidency, where he has spent more time than any of his other properties, and where he hosted Chinese President Xi Jinping in April.

"The public deserves to know who is coming to meet with the president and his staff", Noah Bookbinder, CREW's executive director, said in a statement. Trump earned $37.2 million from Mar-a-Lago last year, according to his most recent financial disclosure form - a almost 25 percent increase from the previous year. The suit for the White House visitor logs is ongoing.

Government officials have indicated that there have been no records kept of visitors to Trump Tower. The records were released in long lists that failed to note why the visitors were there.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE