Class Action Suit Launched On Behalf Of College Students

Remigio Civitarese
Novembre 15, 2017

A Toronto-based law firm has filed a class action suit on behalf of students with regard to the ongoing faculty strike at Ontario colleges.

Some 12,000 Ontario college professors, instructors, counsellors, and librarians haven't been at work since October 15, leaving hundreds of thousands of students out of class.

The union has recommended its members reject the offer. Some 500,000 students at Ontario's 24 public colleges have been out of the classroom since, making it the longest college faculty strike in the province's history. "I am extremely disappointed and students are paying the price. We need to work out the details together and we will do it quickly", Matthews said in a media statement. "I'm looking for the best ideas about how to make sure this reinvestment directly benefits students who have faced hardship".

The colleges offer, tabled November 6, includes a 7.75 per cent salary increase over four years, improved benefits and measures to address concerns about the use of part-time faculty.

"We can't just introduce back-to-work legislation because (we) want the strike to end", she said.

Earlier this month, CEC bargaining chair Sonia Del Missier stated OPSEU representatives had "stonewalled" negotiations.

But the union said the offer contains "serious concessions" that were not agreed to, which would erode faculty rights and contribute to an unsustainable staffing model.

In order for the offer to be approved by OPSEU members, it must receive a yes vote of 50 per cent plus one vote. Voting, which is taking place online or by phone, continues until Thursday morning, and results should be available later that day.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE