Hope fades as search for Argentine submarine enters ninth day

Remigio Civitarese
Novembre 25, 2017

Argentine President Mauricio Macri has promised that an inquiry into the disappearance of a navy submarine will "know the truth" of what happened.

Still, Balbi said no scenario had been ruled out as the search for the missing vessel and its 44 crew members continued unabated. "It's a hard moment for all, but obviously, especially for the families of the 44 crew members".

A sound detected underwater on the morning of November 15, around the time the San Juan sent its last signal and in the same area, was "consistent with an explosion", navy spokesman Enrique Balbi said on Thursday.

Announcing the official inquiry at navy headquarters in Buenos Aires, Macri said the 34-year-old submarine had recently undergone a refit and was "in flawless condition". Macri said the worldwide search for a submarine carrying 44 crew members that has been lost in the South Atlantic since November 15 will continue and that the sub's disappearance will be investigated.

More than a dozen airplanes and ships have been participating in the multinational search despite stormy weather that has caused powerful waves.

In this Thursday, Nov. 23, 2017 photo provided by Brazil's Air Force, Brazilian military aid in the search for Argentina's missing submarine as they fly on a mission over the South Atlantic, after leaving a base in Bahia Blanca, Argentina. The submarine was en route to Mar del Plata when it reported an electrical malfunction shortly before disappearing last week.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE