USA soldier fought to end after ambush in Niger — APNewsBreak

Remigio Civitarese
Dicembre 18, 2017

An American soldier who was killed in an ambush in Niger with three comrades but whose body was only recovered days later was not captured alive by the enemy or executed at close range, the Associated Press has learned, based on the conclusion of a military investigation.

A military examination has presumed that Johnson wasn't caught alive or killed at short proximity, scattering a whirl of bits of gossip about how he died.

The Oct. 4 snare occurred around 120 miles (200 kilometers) north of Niamey, the African country's capital. Johnson's body was recovered two days later.

US authorities comfortable with the discoveries addressed the AP on state of obscurity to portray points of interest of an examination that has not been finished or freely discharged.

A 12-member Army special forces unit was accompanying 30 Nigerien forces when they were attacked in a densely wooded area by as many as 50 militants traveling by vehicle and carrying small arms and rocket-propelled grenade launchers.

Johnson was struck upwards of 18 times from a separation by a volley of automatic weapon rounds, as indicated by the US authorities, who said he was terminating back as he and two Nigerien troopers attempted to get away.

His body was found two days after the attack, which left four US soldiers and four Nigerien troops dead, as well as two USA and eight Nigerien troops wounded.

The bodies of the three other U.S. Green Berets were located the day of the attack but not Johnson's, leading to speculation that he was carried away or executed by the enemy.

Johnson's body was recovered by local forces two days after the October 4 attack, found in thick brush where he tried to take cover, the AP said.

Officials told The Associated Press that a medical investigation concluded Johnson was hit by fire from M-4 rifles and Soviet-made heavy machine guns. It is believed he died in the attack.

The officials said Johnson was found under thick scrub brush, where he had tried to take cover. There were no indications he was shot at close range, or had been bound or taken prisoner, as several media reports have suggested. Gen. Roger Cloutier, the command's chief of staff. The team visited locations in Niger to collect evidence and information about the attack, and will soon submit a draft of Cloutier's report to Marine Gen. Thomas Waldhauser, head of Africa Command. Waldhauser could request extra data. The last report is relied upon to be discharged one month from now.

The report concluded that Johnson, who was athletic and a runner, was in the lead and got the farthest away, seeking cover in the brush. Officials said there were a number of enemy shells around his body, and evidence that he appeared to fight to the end. His boots and other equipment were stolen, but he was still wearing his uniform.

As news of the snare turned out, the USA military sent in safeguard groups to scan for Johnson, not making his status open in the expectation he may have become away was as yet alive and stowing away.

The Pentagon is investigating the incident and has not released details about the exact mission of Johnson's commando team. Weeks later on November 12, a joint U.S. Africa Command military investigation discovered additional human remains that positively were identified as those of Johnson.

Subsequent to finishing that mission, the troops halted in a town for a brief span to get sustenance and water, at that point left. The US military believes someone in the village may have tipped off attackers to the presence of US commandoes and Nigerien forces, setting in motion the ambush.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE