Do not blame OPEC, oil producer group says of Trump criticism

Cornelia Mascio
Luglio 10, 2018

Iran's oil minister has hit back at Donald Trump today over his demand for more production, branding the president's orders as an insult to the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec).

Zanganeh added that Iran had already devised a plan to counter Trump's threats, and that the plan was working successfully.

The Iranian OPEC governor had on Thursday taunted Trump for his tweets urging OPEC to reduce prices, saying the United States president's tweets have backfired, having driven the prices up by at least $10 per barrel. The Iranian minister also criticized Trump's pressure on Saudi Arabia to increase its supplies and said such efforts would destabilize markets.

Bijan Zanganeh condemned the USA president for trying to politicize the decisions of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).

The move came as Iran - an OPEC member - faces renewed sanctions over Trump's decision to quit the worldwide nuclear deal with Tehran, which has added to supply concerns on world markets. This is already seen as part of a political campaign by the U.S. to pressure the kingdom to ramp up oil production quickly to make up for the loss of Iranian barrels which the Trump administration has threatened to bring down to zero.

Trump has lashed out at OPEC producers to reduce prices, making a claim - later backtracked by the White House - in a tweet on Saturday that Saudi Arabia had agreed to increase oil output by up to 2 million barrels.

Zanganeh added the USA president's order is an insult to the national sovereignty of these independent governments and nations.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE