Mom blames teen's death on packaging for peanut cookies

Modesto Morganelli
Luglio 20, 2018

"It's important to us to spread awareness so that this awful mistake doesn't happen again", she said.

According to Kellie Travers-Stafford's post, 15-year-old Alexi Ryann Stafford ate a cookie from an open, red Chips Ahoy! package at a friend's house on June 25.

Alexi Ryann Stafford, of Weston, was at a friends house when she grabbed the cookie while the re-sealable top of the package was open — making the color of the box the only immediate indicator of the type of cookie.

Her family administered two EpiPen shots, but she went into anaphylactic shock and stopped breathing.

Now, Travers-Stafford is calling for awareness to Chips Ahoy's packaging. It has nothing to do with whether they contain peanuts or not. "It's important to us to spread awareness so that this disgusting mistake doesn't happen again", wrote Travers-Stafford.

On Twitter, Chips Ahoy defended itself, saying it has clear warning labels.

"We take allergies very seriously and all of our products are clearly labeled on the information panel of the packaging for the major food allergens in the USA (milk, eggs, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans)".

"The packaging for Chips Ahoy! made with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups prominently indicates, on both the front and side panels, the presence of peanut butter cups through both words and visuals". "We always encourage consumers to read the packaging labeling when purchasing and consuming any of our products for information about product ingredients, including presence of allergens".

While packaging color for the cookies indicates their texture, such as chewy or chunky, it's not indicative of the presence of allergens, it added.

Since her post on July 12, the Chips Ahoy! social media pages have been flooded with comments, asking for a change to the packaging.

An Alexi Stafford Memorial Fund has been established on GoFundMe.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE