Dozens killed, including children on a bus, in Yemen air strikes

Remigio Civitarese
Agosto 9, 2018

"Scores killed, even more injured, most under the age of 10", Johannes Bruwer, head of delegation for the International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC) in Yemen, said in a twitter post. "Does the world really need more innocent children's lives to stop the cruel war on children in Yemen?"

The airstrike hit a bus that was ferrying civilians, including many school children, the elders said, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals. It was not immediately clear if there were any casualties in those strikes.

Fragments from the Houthi missile launched at Jizan Industrial City had killed one Yemeni civilian and wounded 11, Saudi state media said earlier on Thursday.

Saudi Arabia and Arab allies have been fighting in Yemen for more than three years against the Iran-backed Houthis, who control much of northern Yemen including the capital Sanaa and drove a Saudi-backed government into exile in 2014.

The coalition said the projectile, fired toward the southwestern Saudi city of Jizan, was intercepted and destroyed.

A military coalition led by Saudi Arabia has been carrying out airstrikes since 2015 against Houthi positions - causing thousands of civilian deaths in the process, according to war monitors - in an attempt to restore the internationally-recognized government of President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi.

Houthi-run Al-Masirah TV reported that 47 people were killed and 77 wounded, and broadcast graphic pictures showing the bodies of several young children, some of them wearing school uniform.

Col Al Malki said the coalition struck back on Thursday at the Houthis responsible for the attack on Jazan.

Despite killing dozens of schoolchildren, the spokesman called Thursday's attack on the school bus a "legitimate military action" and said it is "in accordance with global humanitarian law and customs". That assistance has come under sharp criticism from Congress and the global community as civilian deaths have continued to multiply, even as the coalition promises not to target civilians.

Yemen has been devastated by a conflict that escalated in early 2015, when the Houthis seized control of much of the west of the country and forced President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi to flee overseas.

The coalition denied responsibility for those attacks.

Yemen's war has left almost 10,000 people dead since 2015 and unleashed what the United Nations describes as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

The fight for the port of Hodeida, a key lifeline for supplies and aid for Yemen's population on the brink of starvation, has become the latest battleground in the devastating war.

The attack on Jazan was the second ballistic missile fired at Saudi Arabia by the Iran-backed rebels this week.

The U.N. special envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, has been pushing to bring the warring parties to restart peace talks.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE