Tencent ordered to kill game just days after its debut

Remigio Civitarese
Agosto 17, 2018

The game has been pulled off Tencent's WeGame distribution platform in China after it was released on August 8.

"Monster Hunter: World" was created by Japanese video games publisher Capcom.

Leading online game operator Tencent Holdings Ltd. has abruptly pulled a popular Japanese-developed title from its platform just days after its release, as the industry struggles under a almost half-year freeze on approval of all new games.

Shares in Tencent, which is set to report half-year earnings on Wednesday, closed down 3.4 percent, against a 0.7 percent fall in the benchmark Hang Seng share price index .HSI.

It's the latest blow to Tencent's gaming operation, which has faced a series of hiccups. As per Reuters, this has managed to "wipe out around $15 billion of its market value". Previously, the Chinese government has also blocked World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King due to the skeletons in the game, but shortly after allowed the game to return, following the changes to the in-game models.

The first is "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds", or PUBG, a massive multiplayer online game that Tencent has the rights to run in China.

This follows the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television making it harder to launch new content in China. Last week, Monster Hunter: World made its debut on PC though, and the first figures point at an incredible success.

While this raises fears over Tencent's ability to successfully sell and gain revenue and profits from the gaming sector, reports suggest regulatory approval is particularly hard to come by in China right now, following a reshuffle of its regulator earlier this year.

"For us this (firm) is a medium-to-longer-term holding with a history of good investment", Morton said. They could choose to continue playing but there would be no guarantee the service would continue, it said.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE