Ontario Premier Doug Ford visits Ottawa in the wake of devastating tornadoes

Remigio Civitarese
Settembre 23, 2018

Ford made the pledge Sunday after he arrived in Dunrobin, the Ottawa neighbourhood hardest hit by a pair of tornadoes that snapped power lines and levelled homes.

Environment Canada issued a warning for much of the eastern Ontario region ahead of the tornado that saw high winds level homes and flip vehicles. About 11,000 residents in the area were without power Friday because of the storm.

Officials are beginning to tally the damage of a tornado that ripped through the Ottawa area yesterday, sending several people to hospital and levelling buildings.

The agency said that at nearly the same time a second, slightly less powerful twister, touched down in the south Ottawa neighbourhood of Arlington Woods. Authorities said dozens of people suffered injuries.

The Ottawa Hospital tweeted that two people were in critical condition, one was in serious condition and two others were stable.

Meanwhile, across the river in Gatineau, Hydro Quebec said 165,000 customers were without power after Friday's storm, but that number has been widdled down to 114,000 as of 7 a.m. Saturday.

In areas lashed by the tornadoes, scenes of havoc were everywhere.

Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson said the destruction from the twister looked like "some bomb was dropped from the air".

Officials warned people not to re-enter their homes until they had been deemed safe as firefighters went door-to-door to determine whether structures were still sound.

A powerful tornado that carved a path through parts of Canada's capital snapped trees, tossed cars and obliterated dozens of homes leaving what the city's mayor on Saturday said resembled "a war scene".

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE