50 dead in Kenya bus accident

Remigio Civitarese
Ottobre 11, 2018

Fifty people have been killed in a bus accident in western Kenya early on Wednesday, authorities said.

Fatalities: 31 men, 12 women, 7 children.

The additional passengers were seated on the bus floor since all the seats were taken, according to the report.

An eyewitness described hearing "a long hooting sound, then a screech that was followed by a bang and loud screams," Kenyan newspaper Daily Nation reported. The two were among some 15 survivors who had been transferred from Fort Tenan hospital where they had been rushed to from the accident scene.

The bus belongs to Western Cross Sacco and is christened Home Boyz.

Police said the driver lost control and the vehicle plunged down a slope at a notorious accident black spot.

"It is unfortunate that we have lost 51 people", Kenya's police chief Joseph Boinnet told Capital FM radio.

The accident happened at 05:00 local time (02:00 GMT) in Fort Ternan town, 80km (50 miles) away from Kisumu, local media reported.

"As authorities investigate the cause of the accident with a view of taking action, I would like to remind drivers to always exercise caution to avoid such catastrophic incident", Kenyatta said on Twitter.

President Uhuru Kenyatta sent his condolences to victims' families and wished those in hospital a quick recovery.

Kenya has struggled to reduce the rising number of road accidents as more people in the growing middle class acquire vehicles.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE