Venezuela's Maduro accuses Trump administration of ordering Colombia to kill him

Remigio Civitarese
Ottobre 13, 2018

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro escalated his war-of-words with the Trump administration Friday; directly accusing the White House of organizing multiple assassination attempts against the socialist leader. Maduro took to the podium Thursday to claim, without evidence, that President Trump and the White House have ordered his death.

Maduro has repeatedly accused Washington and Bogota, particularly Colombian ex-president Juan Manuel Santos, of having a role in the attack.

In Thursday's message he insisted that "God and the people protect me" and said that if anything happened to him the working class must launch a general strike and insurrection.

Venezuelan officials say Fernando Alban killed himself by leaping from the 10th floor of the state police agency's headquarters earlier this week.

The government says he committed suicide, while the opposition have accused authorities of foul play.

Nearly 2 million Venezuelans have fled the ailing oil-rich nation since 2015, driven out by brutal food and medicine shortages, hyperinflation, and violent crime.

Asked about Maduro's comments, a spokesman for the White House's National Security Council said: "U.S. policy preference for a peaceful, orderly return to democracy in Venezuela remains unchanged".

The United Nations has said it will investigate the death.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE