Riyadh may admit journalist was killed - global

Cornelia Mascio
Ottobre 17, 2018

Members of the US Congress, including some of Trump's fellow Republicans, are among the loudest voices in the United States demanding answers and action on Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist who moved to Washington previous year fearing retribution for his critical views.

Yet two sources with knowledge of the recordings told The Wall Street Journal that Khashoggi was not interrogated.

Members of the US Congress, including some of Mr Trump's fellow Republicans, are among the loudest voices in the US demanding answers and action on Mr Khashoggi, who moved to Washington a year ago fearing retribution for his critical views on the Saudi leadership. He said the USA was working with Saudi Arabia and Turkey to figure out what happened.

Pressure has mounted on Saudi Arabia since prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a U.S. resident, Washington Post columnist and critic of Saudi policies, went missing.

Dissident journalist Khashoggi, has been missing since October 2 after entering the Saudi consulate to gather documents for marriage.

"I just spoke with the king of Saudi Arabia, who denies any knowledge of what took place".

"He was with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during the call and told me that he has already started, and will rapidly expand, a full and complete investigation into this matter", Trump's tweets continued, adding, "Answers will be forthcoming shortly".

Saudi operatives were reportedly told they should listen to music as journalist Jamal Khashoggi was dismembered, an audio recording indicates, according to a new report. President Trump is also correct when he says thousands of USA jobs would be lost, with China and Russian Federation to be among those lining up to replace them.

"This guy has got to go", Senator Lindsey Graham told Fox. "We're going to try getting to the bottom of it very soon, but his was a flat denial".

An audio recording has emerged of the alleged torture and murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, according to Sky sources. What evidence Turkish officials could gather at the consulate remained unknown.

Pompeo's faith in the Saudi authorities to cooperate with the investigation into Khashoggi's fate was echoed by Trump, who said in an interview with the Associated Press on Tuesday night that Riyadh had again denied it had anything to do with Khashoggi's disappearance and remained "innocent until proven guilty". Germany, Britain and France issued a joint statement over the weekend expressing "grave concern" and calling for a credible investigation to ensure those responsible for the disappearance "are held to account".

The US president gave no evidence to support the theory.

Prince Mohammed, 33, a son of King Salman, consolidated his control in June 2017 when he was named Crown Prince to replace his cousin, Mohammed Nayef, who was sacked. The suspect was also photographed next to the crown prince on visits to the United Nations and U.S. He and Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, have forged close ties.

Turkish sources allege he was killed by a 15-strong team of Saudi agents but Riyadh insisted earlier that he left the consulate unharmed. Democratic lawmakers criticized Trump for using the term "rogue killers".

Trump's attempt to distance himself from profiting from Saudi Arabia is undercut by a long record showing deals his companies made with that country's government and citizens, media reports said.

Saudi Arabia has pledged to retaliate economically for any USA punitive action.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE