USA takes Jamal Khashoggi case 'very seriously': Mike Pompeo

Cornelia Mascio
Ottobre 18, 2018

The secretary of state noted that the Saudi leaders, while denying knowledge of anything that occurred inside the consulate, had committed to accountability "including for Saudi Arabia's senior leaders or senior officials". She and Turkish authorities say he never emerged and he has not been heard from since.

TRT World's Joseph Hayat has the details.

Turkish sources said the authorities have an audio recording but Ankara has not shared the graphic evidence with USA or European allies who are also investigating Khashoggi's disappearance.

Mr Khashoggi has not been seen since entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on 2 October, where Turkish officials allege he was killed.

Turkish police on Monday night also carried out an eight-hour search at the consulate itself, taking away soil and DNA samples.

In his brief comments to reporters, Pompeo also stressed the "longstanding strategic relationship" between the US and Saudi Arabia.

Mike Pompeo told Saudi Arabia's crown prince that he had 72 hours to finish his probe into the alleged murder of Jamal Khashoggi if he wanted to avoid tarnishing the kingdom's "place on the world stage", according to Axios.

Ms Attiah said the column was a flawless example of Khashoggi's commitment and passion for freedom in the Arab world, which was "a freedom he apparently gave his life for".

Meanwhile, several high-profile human rights groups have demanded that Turkey ask the United Nations to investigate the possible killing of Mr Khashoggi. Now I have to accept: "That is not going to happen", Karen Attiah wrote.

Investigators believe that after the killing, Khashoggi's body was taken to the consul general's house, where it was disposed of.

Saudi officials have not responded to repeated requests for comment from The Associated Press in recent days. Otaibi left Turkey on Tuesday afternoon, Turkish state media reported.

"We have asked for it".

"I will be forever grateful he chose The Post as his final journalistic home one year ago and gave us the chance to work together", she wrote.
The report said it was unclear if he was dead or alive at the time.

"Two weeks is a very long time for the probable scene of a crime not to have been subjected to a full forensic investigation", Ms Bachelet said.

"If a country engages in activity that is unlawful it's unacceptable", Pompeo said.

Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the US Prince Khalid bin Salman previously addressed the "malicious leaks and grim rumors flying around about Jamal's whereabouts and fate" last week. "Do this outside. You will put me in trouble", he reportedly told the team.

Pompeo said the Saudis had committed to holding accountable "anyone connected to any wrongdoing that may be found", making no exceptions for anyone, including members of the royal family.

The High Commissioner noted that Saudi Arabia and Turkey were both party to the "UN Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment".

Khashoggi, a critic of the Saudi monarchy who wrote for The Washington Post, has not been seen since that day. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.

The US president has been on the defensive ever since Khashoggi - a US resident and Washington Post contributor who had criticised Prince Mohammed - vanished on Oct 2 after visiting the Istanbul consulate.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE