Rampaging Melbourne driver found guilty of six murders

Remigio Civitarese
Novembre 14, 2018

Bourke Street driver James Gargasoulas has been found guilty of murdering six pedestrians and recklessly injuring another 27 when he sped along a footpath in Melbourne's CBD previous year.

The victims of the deadly rampage included three-month-old Zachary Matthew-Bryant, 10-year-old Tahlia Hakin, Yosuke Kanno, 25, Jessica Mudie, 23-year-old Matthew Si and 33-year-old Bhavita Patel.

The jury deliberated for just 57 minutes before returning the verdict, ending a trial in the Victorian Supreme Court which lasted less than a week.

Despite admitting his actions driving through the busy pedestrian mall and along footpaths caused death and injury, Gargasoulas pleaded not guilty to six charges of murder and 27 of reckless conduct endangering life. During the rampage on January 20 a year ago, Gargasoulas killed six people and injured a further 27.

Families of the victims welcomed the verdict.

"His callous actions on that day shattered the lives of the family and friends whose loved ones he stole".

Last week, Bourke St was the scene of an unrelated stabbing attack that left one victim dead and two others injured.

"Prosecutor Kerri Judd QC told the court: "[It] is the clearest case of criminal liability that you will ever come across".

"The families of the victims are grateful to all those whose hard work secured today's outcome, and for the ongoing support they have received during this difficult time".

He told the court he believed he had received God's permission, through a premonition, to hit people with the stolen auto he was driving but not to kill anyone.

He said: "I apologise from my heart but that's not going to fix anything... neither will a lengthy sentence fix what I done".

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

PIÙ POPOLARE GrafFiotech

Segui i nostri GIORNALE