California Wildfire Missing Toll Rises To Over 600, Trump Set To Visit

Modesto Morganelli
Novembre 16, 2018

AP Photo/Noah Berger A dog searches for victims of the Camp fire in Paradise, California, on November 15, 2018.

The search for victims of a catastrophic blaze that reduced a northern California town to ashes intensified on Thursday and authorities said the list of those reported missing had expanded to more than 600 in the deadliest wildfire in California history.

Authorities attributed the high death toll in part to the staggering speed with which the wind-driven flames, fuelled by desiccated scrub and trees, raced through Paradise, a town of 27,000 residents.

TRT World's Ediz Tiyansan reports from California.

Two more people were killed during the Woolsey Fire, which also destroyed more than 400 structures and displaced about 200,000 people in the mountains and foothills near the Malibu coast west of Los Angeles.

Honea announced the increased count at a news conference Thursday, after having said a day earlier that 130 people were unaccounted for.

Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea told those gathered at a news briefing that the number of missing persons reflected ongoing work by emergency response personnel sifting through reports, but said numerous unaccounted for may simply be displaced in shelters throughout the region.

Following Zinke's trip, this morning President Donald Trump tweeted, "Just spoke to Governor Jerry Brown to let him know that we are with him, and the people of California, all the way!"

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE