Bourke Street Hero Trolley Man Has Been Charged With Burglary

Remigio Civitarese
Novembre 17, 2018

A homeless Australian man who shot to fame after using a shopping trolley to help police thwart last week's militant attack in Melbourne has been charged over a series of burglaries.

Michael Rogers, the so-called "trolley man", drew widespread praise for pushing the trolley repeatedly at Hassan Khalif Shire Ali as the 30-year-old man attempted to stab police.

He has been charged with two counts of burglary, two of theft and committing an indictable offence while on bail, and faced the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Saturday morning.

After media reports the police were seeking to question him, Rogers turned himself in on Friday night and was served with five charges relating to recent burglaries in the central Melbourne area.

"He has been remanded in custody to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates' Court (on Saturday)", police said in an emailed statement. "Got him but didn't get him down", he had told Channel Seven.

After the attack, Rogers was dubbed "trolley man" and an online fundraiser for him raised $145,000 (£82,000) before being closed this weekend.

Mr Rogers was hailed a hero for his actions in the Bourke Street terror incident on November 9.

"I'm not saying what I did wasn't good, but you know, you've got the police, you've got the Army, you've got the ambulance - you've got better heroes than me", he said.

National Homeless Collective's Donna Stolzenberg, who started the campaign, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that the money raised will be held in a trust fund for him.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE