Drip, Drip, Drip: Ex-Sanders Staffer Accuses Top Aide Of Sexual Assault

Remigio Civitarese
Gennaio 11, 2019

'I categorically deny these allegations of improper and unprofessional conduct.' The alleged assault, he wrote in a statement, is 'at odds with my recollection of a late evening filled with many hugs and kisses and tears and conversations about what's next'.

"Candidates who allow people like Robert Becker to lead their organizations shouldn't earn the highest office in our government", she told Politico.

Sanders himself has not yet made a decision on whether or not he will run for President in 2020, but released an e-mail late past year with the subject line "If I Run".

Allegations that male members of his campaign had harassed and discriminated against female campaign workers have been circulating for weeks as the senator weighs a potential second presidential run.

Politico reported Wednesday night that the head of Sanders's Iowa caucus campaign in 2016 has been accused of forcibly kissing a female subordinate on the final night of the Democratic National Convention in July 2016.

Weaver told Politico that "without getting into the specifics of an incident where the woman involved has not given me express permission to speak, I only became aware recently".

"To women in our campaign who were harassed or mistreated, I apologise", the Vermont independent wrote in a statement on Twitter on Thursday. "I apologize", he said. "We can't just talk about ending sexism and discrimination". It must be a reality in our daily lives. "That was clearly not the case in 2016".

Weaver is a longtime Sanders ally who served as chief of staff during Sanders' tenure in the U.S. House and later in the Senate.

Becker allegedly approached the woman at a restaurant and hookah bar following the convention and told her "he had always wanted to have sex with her and made a reference to riding his 'pole, ' according to the woman and three other people who witnessed what happened or were told about it shortly afterward by people who did", says the report. They added: "To be clear: no one who committed sexual harassment in 2016 would be back if there were a 2020 campaign".

As Sanders and surrogates explore a 2020 presidential bid, more than a dozen former female and male staffers who worked on the 2016 campaign signed a letter requesting a meeting with Sanders and his leadership team "to discuss the issue of sexual violence and harassment on the 2016 campaign, for the objective of planning to mitigate the issue in the upcoming presidential cycle".

Earlier this month, former women staffers told the New York Times that, while working on Sanders' first campaign, they experienced "sexual harassment and demeaning treatment, as well as pay disparity" problems - and that there was no one to turn to for help.

This spotlight on the 2016 campaign has not left Sanders' inner circle unscathed.

In another blow to the progressive lawmaker, Sanders will not have his trusted campaign manager by his side if he decides to run for president again. Additionally, numerous women have complained they were paid less than men and forced into inappropriate and uncomfortable situations, according to The New York Times.

Weaver could not reached for comment.

Interested in Bernie Sanders?

"First things first, we're coming together on January 12 to talk about what worked and what didn't work in 2016 so we can build the strongest campaign for 2020 to support our movement", Brezler said.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE