UK’s Prince Philip, 97, Gives Up Driver’s License After Crash

Brunilde Fioravanti
Febbraio 14, 2019

Buckingham Palace released a statement over the weekend stating, "After careful consideration the Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence".

Prince Philip has made a decision to stop driving at the age of 97, less than a month after he was involved in a collision that left two women injured, Buckingham Palace said Saturday.

A woman who broke her wrist in a auto crash involving the Duke of Edinburgh has said she feels "safer" now he has given up his driving licence.

The 97-year-old has voluntarily surrendered his driving licence but witnesses fears a "deal" has been done.

The impact of the crash flipped the duke's Land Rover onto its side. A nine-month-old baby boy was in the Kia at the time of the incident and was uninjured.

He escaped injury, but passenger Emma Fairweather broke her wrist and called for the duke to be prosecuted if he was found to be at a fault.

There is no upper age limit for licensing drivers in Britain, although drivers over 70 are required to renew their licenses every three years and tell authorities about any medical conditions that might raise safety issues.

The force said a file on the investigation into the crash last month had been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

The Duke of Edinburgh reached out to at least one of the people involved in the auto crash, Emma Fairweather, who was in the passenger seat of the Kia, writing her an apologetic letter which she shared with the Sunday Mirror, who published the letter in full.

The duke wrote a letter to Fairweather, dated January 21, that it was a "very distressing experience".

"I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident", he wrote, on Sandringham House headed paper and printed in the Sunday Daily Mirror.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE