Man accused of throwing child from MOA balcony makes first court appearance

Remigio Civitarese
Апреля 17, 2019

Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda, 24, was charged with attempted premeditated first-degree murder.

After being arrested on a light rail train, Aranda reportedly told police he was frustrated after years of being rejected by women and wanted to hurt someone to express his anger.

Prosecutors will ask that bail be set at $2 million. He is scheduled to make his first court appearance on Tuesday afternoon, April 16, 2019.

According to a criminal complaint, the boy and his mother were outside the Rain Forest Café when Aranda came up close to them. A GoFundMe account had raised more than $700,000 by Tuesday evening.

The child plunged nearly 40 feet, suffering massive head trauma and broken arms and legs, the station reports. He returns to court in May 14. On Tuesday they said his condition remained critical.

The deranged suspect "acknowledged repeatedly in his interview that he had planned and meant to kill someone at the mall that day and that he was aware that what he was doing was wrong", the complaint said.

Aranda was charged in July 2015 with causing damage inside stores after he threw items off the upper level of the mall to the lower level, court records obtained by CNN affiliate WCCO show.

Then, the complaint alleges, Aranda "without warning" picked up the boy and threw him over the railing to the first floor, which Bloomington Police Chief Jeff Potts earlier estimated to be about 40 feet.

When Aranda tried to flee the scene, a witness attempted to stop him from leaving, but Aranda pushed the person against the wall and continued running, according to prosecutors. The Star-Tribune reported that Aranda was previously convicted of first-degree property damage and was also arrested on charges of assault and theft in IL. He was arrested at the mall weeks later for aggressively panhandling and harassing two women and for throwing drinking glasses at diners in a mall restaurant.

According to the complaint, surveillance footage from the mall allegedly shows Aranda walking on the third floor and looking over the balcony several times before approaching the child and his mother.

Aranda's uncle, who said his nephew has a history of mental problems, told WCCO he and his family are praying for Landen's family and called the incident "gut-wrenching".

After the attack, police say Aranda ran but was later found in the mall's transit station.

Altre relazioni

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE