Couple Dies of the Plague After Eating Raw Marmot Meat

Modesto Morganelli
Mag 10, 2019

A couple recently died from the bubonic plague after they consumed raw marmot meat, prompting a six-day quarantine in East Asia.

The husband and wife ate raw marmot meat and organs, which they believed to be good for health, according to The Washington Post.

The deaths prompted a quarantine situation in Mongolia's Bayan Olgii province, which sits on the border of Russian Federation and China.

Borders were closed, tourists were detained, and passengers who potentially had been in contact with the couple were removed from airplanes and immediately sent for medical checks. These included tourists from South Korea, Kazakhstan, Sweden, and Switzerland who were given antibiotics as a preventative. As of Tuesday, the quarantine had been lifted. Though locals consider consuming uncooked rodent meat is healthful, authorities have warned residents that the animals can carry Yersinia pestis, the plague-inflicting microorganism, in line with Agence France-Presse. They, as well as 24-year-old American Peace Corps volunteer Sebastian Pique, were invited to the governor's office on Friday to have the situation explained.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, the plague spreads to humans through infected fleas and rodents like squirrels, chipmunks and prairie dogs.

According to the U.S. National Center for Zoonotic Disease, one person in Mongolia dies from the plague each year - mostly from observing this cultural tradition. She died on May 1 from toxic shock. Symptoms include swollen lymph nodes, which can be as large as chicken eggs, in the groin, armpit or neck. "Plague is infamous for killing millions of people in Europe during the Middle Ages".

Plague cases are rare in the United States, but incidents do occur in Asia and Africa the CDC reports.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE