Sudan activists call for 'justice' for killed protesters

Remigio Civitarese
Luglio 14, 2019

A transition agreement between Sudan's ruling military council and a pro-democracy coalition was scheduled to be signed Saturday, a top African Union diplomat said, just hours after the military claimed it thwarted an attempted coup by a group of officers.

Faisal said the presence of elements from Bashir's regime in the army and security organs is still extensive and they can use it to topple the ruling Transitional Military Council (TMC) in order to sabotage the agreement. He did not release the names of those arrested, however he added that "others will be arrested, including the leader of the foiled coup attempt".

Gen Omar said that 12 serving officers and five retired officers have been arrested, as well as four non-commissioned officers.

The June 3 raid came after talks between protest leaders and military generals, who seized power after Al-Bashir was ousted, collapsed over who should head a new governing body - a civilian or soldier.

No more details were immediately available.

The deal includes a joint Sovereign Council set to rule for a little over three years while elections are organized, along with a constitutional declaration, according to a copy of the deal obtained by The Associated Press. Both sides say a diplomatic push by the US and its Arab allies was key to ending a weekslong standoff that raised fears of all-out civil war.

David Shinn, former deputy chief of mission at U.S. embassy in Sudan, said that the coup attempt was not "too surprising".

"I don't see this as all that unusual".

The political situation in Sudan has been turbulent for months.

Sudan has been in political deadlock since the overthrow of autocratic President Omar al-Bashir in April.

Crowds of protesters were violently dispersed by men in military fatigues in a pre-dawn raid on a protest site outside the army headquarters on June 3, shooting and beating demonstrators who had camped there for weeks demanding a civilian rule. The deal was meant to end the impasse between the military council and the protest movement since security forces razed a massive pro-democracy sit-in in Khartoum early last month, killing more than 100 people, according to protest organizers. Officials put the death toll at 62. The agreement aims to form a transitional body to administer the government, after mediation by the African Union and Ethiopia.

The state-run SUNA news agency however reported that both sides would meet late Saturday.

Late on Saturday, the Sudanese Communist party, which is part of the protest movement, said it rejected the power-sharing agreement because it does not include an global investigation into the crackdown and it keeps paramilitary forces in existence.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE