Norway Mosque Shooting Suspect Appears in Court With Wounded Face

Remigio Civitarese
Agosto 13, 2019

At a detention hearing in Oslo on Monday, a 21-year-old Norwegian man suspected of a "terrorist act" at the city's Al-Noor mosque on Saturday rejected all the allegations against him.

They said the alleged perpetrator is also a murder suspect in a separate case.

"He is exercising his right not to be interrogated", said his defence lawyer, Unni Fries.

The unidentified suspect, who had several guns in his possession when he was arrested, had expressed anti-immigrant and extremist views online.

A Norwegian man opened fire on the Al-Noor Islamic Centre in Bærum, Norway on Saturday.

After the attack, police said a young woman found dead in the victim's home was the gunman's 17-year-old stepsister.

Rafiq's quick action helped avert an attack that brought back painful memories of the Christchurch shootings in New Zealand earlier this year, when a gunman attacked two mosques and killed 51 people during Friday prayers.

"There is no doubt that the swift and firm response from the persons inside the mosque stopped the aggressor and prevented further consequences", Skjold told the media persons present on the spot.

"The prosecuting authority will request that the person charged be remanded in custody for four weeks, with a ban on visits and communication, without access to the media and in solitary confinement", the police said in a statement.

On Monday, Norway's domestic intelligence service PST said it had received a tip "about a year ago" about Manshaus, but that they chose not to act on it.

EndChan confirmed on Twitter that a man "claiming to be the Oslo shooter" had posted material on the forum.

Police said the suspect appeared to have far-right and anti-immigrant views.

Oslo police wrote on Twitter: 'There has been a shooting episode inside the mosque'.

The post ended with the words "Valhalla awaits", a reference to the afterlife for those who have died in battle in Norse mythology.

The attack took place one day before thousands of Muslims gathered at mosques for the Eid celebration, and the congregation targeted by the gunman expected up to 1,000 people to attend.

In 2011, white supremacist Anders Behring Breivik massacred 77 people - the majority of whom were teenagers - in Norway's worst ever peacetime atrocity.

According to reports, only three people were inside at the time.

Prime Minister Erna Solberg, who expressed sympathy after the attack, said in a statement: "This is not supposed to happen in Norway".

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE