Bedfordshire power station at centre of national power cut

Cornelia Mascio
Agosto 14, 2019

The Government plans to launch an investigation into the major power cut that affected nearly one million people in England and Wales.

Friday's blackout brought chaos to the rail network (above) and affected power at Newcastle Airport and Ipswich Hospital, reportedly after the nearly simultaneous loss of two generators.

Andrea Leadsom, Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, said Friday's power outage said there would be an investigation following the "enormous disruption".

Last week's black out was unlikely to have been the result of either high renewable generation or a cyber attack, National Grid chief exec John Pettigrew has said.

The committee will look at whether National Grid, which manages the electricity supply system, stuck to its processes and procedures and if these were fit-for-purpose.

According to Professor Tim Green, co-director of the Energy Futures Laboratory at Imperial College London, the first generator to disconnect on Friday was a gas-fired plant at Little Barford in Bedfordshire at 4.58pm. It will examine any performance issues, efficiency of communications and how power was restored. Two minutes later, Hornsea's offshore wind farm disconnected.

In an open post published via social networking site LinkedIn, Pettigrew also said that that National Grid's preliminary findings from an investigation into the stress event would be with industry regulator Ofgem by the end of the week.

Duncan Burt, of National Grid, told the BBC the loss of the generators triggered electrical demand being disconnected across the country to "keep the rest of the system safe".

National Grid power was restored by 5.40pm but there was a knock-on effect for some train services, which continued to be disrupted into Saturday.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE