Conor McGregor signs on for UFC return against Dustin Poirier in January

Paola Ditto
Novembre 22, 2020

Conor McGregor continues to be one of the biggest draws in the UFC, even if he hasn't been as active as people would like him to be.

Conor McGregor is set to reverse his latest flirtation with retirement with a fight against Dustin Poirier in January, the Irish mixed martial arts star said on Thursday.

Poirier signed his contract last week.

The news comes a week after UFC president Dana White denied the rematch was a done deal. The two will square off on January 23 at the Flash Forum on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. McGregor, meanwhile, has fought just twice in the UFC since winning the lightweight title four years ago, also losing to Khabib before destroying Donald Cerrone at the start of the year. The bout is a rematch from 2014 when McGregor knocked out Poirier in the first round at UFC 178.

McGregor is 3-2 overall since leaving the featherweight division. After leaving the sport for almost two years to box Floyd Mayweather Jr., McGregor returned to try to earn his old belt back from Khabib Nurmagomedov, only to be submitted in the fourth round with a neck crank.

An annoyed McGregor, who had previously announced multiple retirements before returning to the octagon, said in July he had retired after becoming frustrated at problems arranging bouts due to the Covid-19 pandemic and clashes with UFC. "The Diamond" bounced back from the loss to Nurmagomedov by trumping Dan Hooker after a thrilling five-round battle in June.

McGregor and Poirier both favour brawling, on-the-feet fighting styles that should provide a good matchup for McGregor's strengths. UFC 257 on January 23 will bring the company back to "Fight Island" with a pay-per-view, and McGregor vs. Poirier will headline but will not be for any gold, per White.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE