Newcastle confirms ongoing legal action against Preimer League

Paola Ditto
Novembre 22, 2020

However, in September, Newcastle accused the Premier League of acting inappropriately in rejecting the takeover bid based on an owners and directors' test and said they would be "considering all relevant options available".

Following that Mike Ashley statement, The Athletic have now reported that their information is that in actual fact, the Saudi PIF 'remain as determined as ever to buy Newcastle, despite having officially withdrawn the bid in July'.

The League responded and claimed Ashley was "incorrect" and said they were still waiting for "all appropriate information" from the proposed buyers.

But divulging that information to the fans group represented an alleged breach of the League's confidentiality clause, with both parties now reportedly having to retain privacy now that the case is active, leading to Newcastle's hard-hitting statement.

David Reuben's son then raised hopes of a Saudi return to the table when he dropped a hint last month that the takeover is still on after showing support for the "Letter Before Action".

With this latest move, current owner Mike Ashley has continued to put public pressure on the Premier League, something he has done multiple times since his deal to sell the club dramatically collapsed in July. Well one thing for sure, at least today has been a lot more interesting and uplifting than the Steve Bruce style football we are watching this season.

Newcastle United have confirmed that they are involved in arbitration proceedings against the Premier League (EPL) over an aborted takeover attempt by a Saudi Arabian-backed consortium earlier this year.

"The club is aware of public reports which state that... the EPL referred to legal proceedings with the club... in a letter to Newcastle supporters", the club said in a statement on Thursday. So, it appears that the EPL has leaked the contents of their letter to some people who have commented in the public domain.

The club added it would not comment on the substance of the proceedings, but "can confirm that it has issued arbitration proceedings against the EPL".

"It is not clear when these processes will be resolved in the light of the views of the EPL and its lawyers, Bird & Bird. Nevertheless, the club will continue to do its utmost to push for a fair, full and timely hearing on his claim".

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE