Toronto lockdown extended until at least March 8

Modesto Morganelli
Febbraio 20, 2021

All of Ontario was under a stay-at-home order and the strictest public health measures until the government began easing restrictions gradually in certain regions last week.

The province says a stay-home order will lift for York Region as it moves to the second-strictest category of Ontario's tiered pandemic restrictions framework next week. Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams says Ontario has introduced an "emergency brake" to allow the Chief Medical Officer of Health, in consultation with the local medical officer of health, to immediately advise moving a region into Grey-Lockdown to interrupt transmission. "My friends, I've said from day one, nothing, and I mean nothing, is more important right now than keeping you and your loved ones safe".

The province also said on Friday that it was moving the region covered by the Lambton public health unit to the red category of its restrictions framework due to worsening trends in the area.

The change for Lambton Public Health will come into effect on February 22. "Variants of concern also remain a serious risk to community transmission and health system capacity".

Toronto officials asked the provincial government this week to extend the lockdown after Toronto's medical officer of health said she has never been more anxious about the future because of new coronavirus variants.

Markham, Ont., Mayor Frank Scarpitti said he's asking the region's top doctor to further limit social gatherings and capacity for businesses and close all sports facilities while the region assess the impact of virus variants.

"These are hard but necessary decisions, in order to protect against COVID-19 variants and maintain the progress we have all made together".

"I have never been as anxious about the future as I am today", Toronto's Medical Officer of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa said Wednesday while warning new infections could surge if the city reopens too quickly.

"Our government's number one priority is the safety of all individuals and families, and that's why we are taking a gradual, cautious approach to returning regions to the [colour-coded] framework", said Christine Elliott, the Deputy Premier and Minister of Health.

The long-range modelling predicts a "strong resurgence" of COVID-19 in March and April in all provinces.

Ontario reported 1,150 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday and 47 more deaths from the virus.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE