Ford says there will be 'further restrictions moving forward'

Modesto Morganelli
Aprile 7, 2021

Surging COVID-19 numbers in parts of Ontario have the Ontario Government of Premier Doug Ford considering issuance of a "Stay-at-Home" Order.

That was in response to a question about videos showing packed shopping malls over the Easter weekend.

A spokesperson for Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott told CTV News Toronto that the provincewide shutdown "puts in place time-limited public health and workplace safety measures to help to stop the rapid transmission of COVID-19 variants in communities, protect hospital capacity and save lives".

He said a stay-at-home order will be discussed tomorrow.

"We are calling on the Ford government to recognize the hardship kids and families will face and do everything in their power to reopen schools where they have closed as soon as possible and save the school year", the Children's Health Coalition said in a statement.

Ford said, "We're going to have further restrictions moving forward very, very quickly".

He mentioned big employers and neighbourhoods in the target areas would be targeted.

On Monday, Peel Public Health was the latest health unit to use its authority to close its schools to in-person learning.

Medical officers of health for Toronto, Peel, and Ottawa signed the joint letter addressed to Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams on Sunday.

The province also didn't share statistics on Good Friday, but on Saturday reported there had been more than 3,000 cases of COVID-19 for two consecutive days.

TDSB and TCDSB make up more than 30 per cent of the active cases in Ontario schools.

Ford imposed tighter measures across Ontario last week though he stopped short of a stay-at-home order.

"It's changing day-by-day, hour-by-hour, and we need to be ready to adapt as we see issues emerge", Ford said Tuesday.

In neighboring Quebec, the government also tightened restrictions that had recently been eased, at schools and gyms in Montreal and a few other regions.

The move is preventive, in anticipation that variant cases are going to climb, Premier Francois Legault said Tuesday.

"April will be the month of all dangers", he said.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE