Three dogs die from toxic algae after swimming in North Carolina pond

Remigio Civitarese
Августа 13, 2019

However, 15 minutes after leaving the pond, Abby, a West Highland White Terrier, began suffering from a seizure and was rushed to a veterinary hospital.

Despite her grieving, Martin is determined to make sure other dog owners know about the threat posed by blue green algae.

Their three dogs - Abby, Izzy, and Harpo - had to be put down after swimming in a pond in Wilmington.

"At 12:08 AM, our dogs crossed the rainbow bridge together".

They had been exposed to blue-green algae, or cyanobacteria, which was present in the lake the dogs had played in.

"I wish I could do today over", Martin wrote in an emotional Facebook post.

'What started out as a fun night for them has ended in the biggest loss of our lives, ' Martin wrote.

Martin and Mintz are now seeking to spread the word about the dangers of blue-green algae.

There were no signs warning visitors of toxic algae near the pond, Martin told multiple media sources.

Martin is harnessing her broken heart into positive action with a GoFundMe campaign.

Gary Kohlhepp, Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy said, "With dogs what happens is that they tend to ingest a lot of the water when they're swimming or maybe if they swim in the bloom when they're done they'll clean themselves and lick their fur".

"Harmful algal blooms (HABs) are the rapid growth of algae that can cause harm to animals, people, or the local ecology". As a result, food contaminated with HABs have caused a variety of illnesses, and, in the most severe cases, lead to paralysis and respiratory failure, according the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Dogs are especially susceptible to cyanotoxins that attack the nervous system", the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services writes on its website. But in high numbers, they form toxic blooms, often creating a thick mat that resembles pea soup on the surface of the water.

Several factors have contributed to the blooms, including hotter, wetter summers and warmer water. 'We must warn other pups and families about this blue-green algae.it's deadly.it's fatal'. "It just kind of behooves anybody that sees algae in a lake, in a pond, that they'd probably want to be cautious and just not expose themselves to it or to their pets".

Schmale said he hasn't seen a coroner's report to verify the causes of death, still he speculates the dogs were thirsty and the water contaminated.

Altre relazioni

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE

ULTIME NOTIZIE

ALTRE NOTIZIE