Tokyo Olympics organizers launch new task force

Cornelia Mascio
Marzo 27, 2020

The Olympic men's football tournament is restricted to under-23 players. The Summer Games have been delayed amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Bach said in a conference call on Wednesday morning that a call would take place with the 33 global sports federations on Thursday to discuss the matter.

IOC President Thomas Bach said on Wednesday that "all options" were on the table for rescheduling, including holding the Games before the Japanese summer.

Asked whether he had considered resigning over criticism that the committee had taken too long to reach its conclusion about delaying the Games, Bach answered: "No".

Also agrees with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's proposal to have the Games by next summer at the latest. "These Games are called the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 therefore for me it is a logical effect that sponsors of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 keep their rights if these Games are organised in 2021".

Toshiro Muto who leads the new task force said there are many things that can not proceed unless a new schedule for the openings of the Olympics and Paralympics is set quickly. That leaves the door open for the Games to be held earlier in the year, if necessary.

After much pressure from overseas governments and sporting organizations, the International Olympic Committee, in agreement with the Japanese government, finally came to the decision to postpone the Games until the summer of 2021 at the latest.

Speaking to reporters, Japan Olympic Committee President Yasuhiro Yamashita called for refocusing efforts. "With a fresh mind, not giving up, I want to go through this challenge heading into next year".

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE