Victorian man tests positive to COVID-19 after completing hotel quarantine

Brunilde Fioravanti
Mag 11, 2021

This includes both Tier 1 locations, where visitors are required to test and isolate for 14 days, and Tier 2 sites, where visitors are asked to get tested and isolate until a negative result is returned.

This is the first community case in Victoria after 73 days with no local cases.

The man in his 30s arrived in Victoria from India, via the Maldives and Singapore, on May 4, developed symptoms on May 8 and got tested on May 10, returning a positive result on Tuesday morning.

"There is no such thing as a foolproof hotel quarantine facility, which is why this evening's national budget is a golden opportunity for the Commonwealth to step up and do its constitutional duty and fund, with the states, a quarantine facility such as that proposed by Victoria", said Foley.

The Ministry of Health isn't recommending any changes to the transtasman bubble following the new community case reported in Melbourne today.

The Department said it was working with interstate counterparts to determine the likely source of this infection.

The man is expected to be transferred to mandatory quarantine once released from hospital.

The ministry's public health risk assessment was based on information provided by Victorian health authorities.

The ministry will be requesting airlines communicate this message to anyone flying to New Zealand from Victoria in the next 24 hours and will also be contacting recent arrivals from Melbourne and Victoria since May 6, providing the same advice.

She said genomic testing would be able to confirm whether he contracted the virus inside the Playford medi-hotel from the other guest.

Anyone who had been at a location of interest could not travel to New Zealand from Australia within 14 days of exposure.

He is being interviewed by contact tracers and authorities are verifying exposure sites, while his close contacts are also being tested and interviewed, and are in isolation.

The man is believed to have returned from overseas and engaged in hotel quarantine in South Australia, before leaving and returning to Victoria on May 4th.

It comes as NSW health authorities continue to search for a missing link that connects a positive case in hotel quarantine to an infected couple from Sydney's Eastern Suburbs.

The man had tested negative on all three testing occasions during his quarantine period.

Altre relazioniGrafFiotech

Discuti questo articolo

Segui i nostri GIORNALE